Bloggers all have the same problem, especially beginning bloggers.
We need traffic! How to get it??
I use so many tactics and tools to get traffic but I today I want to focus on one thing that can be a gold mine for traffic.
Commenting on other blogs.
Here’s the idea. Leave a comment on this post and if it links to a real blog, not a landing page, not a splash page but an active blog then I will approve it!
Here are the steps you should take.
- Subscribe to this blog. I typically write a post up to once a day and at least once a week.
- Leave a comment below with a description of your blog, your target audience and a link.
- Look through other comments and visit their blogs. Subscribe and leave a comment.
- Repeat on other blogs.
- Watch the views and comments accumulate to your blog!
Here is what will happen when you perform all of these steps.
- Your blog will get visits! I and others will visit every one that comments and take actions on them ie. likes, shares, +1s and we might follow you on other social media as well. This can be huge for your exposure.
- Your blog will get comments! Search engines not only rank visits but how connected you are as well. Anyone who visits to comment with a link to their blog will increase your outbound link score to the search engines as well. You should allow this and not view them as competition or spam as long as they have a quality site. Especially if they are in your niche or share a target audience. Trust me!
- Your SEO ranking will go up! Comments get included in total word count, did you know that? So the more comments you have, the more content you have. And content is still king in rankings for organic traffic.
- You should be commenting on related blogs as much as possible. Search engines see this and determine that you are relevant in your niche. This can be a big boost to your ranking.
A recent study done on bloggers who comment on other blogs found these things:
For every brief comment on a post with just a few words you get about 3 visits to your site in return.
A brief comment can = 3 visits to your site.
For every valued comment with good information, adding something to the conversation and getting you seen as an authority you get an average of 17 visits to your site in return!
A valued comment can = 17 visits to your site.
Here are a couple of other interesting things the study found.
These results come not from commenting on the biggest baddest authority sites in the niche. The comments that have the most impact on your traffic come from small active sites. That’s right, any site you find that is getting some views and still active is worth commenting on!
Commenting on smaller blogs has the most impact.
If you are one of the first people to comment you get the most impact. The higher you are in the comment chain, the more people will see your comment!
Commenting soon after a post is published has the most impact.
Lets take this info to the bank. A great way to get visits is to comment on related blogs, as soon as the post is published. The best way to accomplish this is to subscribe to blogs. When you get notification of a new post, visit the site and put in your two cents!
This is a great tactic and one I employ often. Not only do you get the benefit of some traffic back to your site, you get to read what people are posting in your niche and others. I have gained much knowledge about blogging and how to write posts, gather followers and just general info by reading other blogs and commenting on them.
So, now is the time to start subscribing and commenting. Good luck!